I'm not the best photographer around. I was drooling too much to take a good picture of my French Toast this morning. I decided to share this super simple recipe just in case you'd like to try it out.
- Two slices of bread (white or brown)
- Coconut Oil (as much as you need)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of milk (I used skim, but whole is good too)
- Strawberry jam or jelly.
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Whisk your egg in a flat container or bowl and mix in the milk. You can sprinkle in Cinnamon if you're partial to it.
- Get out your non-stick pan, heat it on the stove, then add your coconut oil once hot. I usually use the highest setting to get the pan sizzling, then turn it down a bit afterward to avoid burning the bread.
- Once your pan is hot, dip one slice of bread into the egg-milk mixture, turn over and dip the other side. There's no need to soak the bread unless you've got really thick slices. If you leave it for too long it will get soggy.
- Fry your piece of bread until crispy brown - less than a minute depending on how hot your pan is - then flip over and fry the other side.
- Repeat with the second slice of bread.
- Serve with strawberry jam or jelly.
I always use jam because I like the clumps of strawberries. Yum! Let me know what you think of this recipe or if you've got one of your own you'd like to share.
Slimmer's tip: Use cooking spray instead of coconut oil if you'd like to remove some calories.
Rosie's takeaway: When you heat your pan first and add oil after, your food never sticks - even in a non-stick pan. I think it was Gordon Ramsey who gave out that tip?